Tips for a Successful Zoom InterviewBy Vaughn College | June 29, 2020
Are you prepared for your next job interview? You may be relieved to learn the commute may only be as far as your living room. Read on to learn the advantages of a Zoom interview and the best tips and practices to make it a successful experience.
Job interviews of today are getting more screen time as employers are opting to use video conferencing software, such as Zoom, to connect with job candidates instead of traditional in-person meetings. In light of the coronavirus pandemic and social distancing, Zoom interviews have become more popular than ever. If you have already been using Zoom to connect with family and friends, you may think you have a handle on using this video conferencing software. But how would you fare using it in a job interview?
Below we have prepared a checklist of tips to help you prepare for a successful job interview via Zoom. But first, let us start with some of the ways both employers and candidates are benefiting from screen-to-screen interviews in contrast to traditional face-to-face ones.
Advantages of Zoom Interviews
Interviewing for a job can be a bit nerve-wracking for some. And for the interviewers, scheduling them can be a challenge. Conducting interviews via Zoom can be beneficial for both parties, thus making the experience more convenient and less stressful. Here are some of the advantages of Zoom interviews over traditional in-person ones:
- No face-to-face contact—which is particularly beneficial during COVID-19.
- Reduces pressure and puts candidates more at ease, since they are in their own environment.
- More convenient for out-of-town participants—both employer and individual candidates.
- Interviews can be arranged and organized quickly.
- Employers can screen candidates efficiently.
Ways to Prepare for a Zoom Interview
Preparation is the key to success, especially when preparing for a Zoom interview. Here are some helpful tips to prepare for a positive experience:
- Conduct practice interviews and record yourself to evaluate and fine-tune your answers and screen appearance.
- Update your computer with the latest edition of Zoom software.
- If using a laptop, check that it is fully charged.
- Be sure you have a strong internet connection.
- Advise household members of the day and time of your call to limit distractions.
- Close out everything on your desktop before the interview.
- Dress professionally.
- Choose a:
- Professional background with limited clutter
- Room with good lighting—facing toward a window is better than having the light behind you
- Quiet space that is free of distractions – make sure children and dogs are secured in separate rooms
Tips for Success Before the Call
There are a few simple things to do right before the call that could make or break the interview. Be sure to:
- Silence your phone and put it away until after the interview.
- Turn off all notifications from social media websites and other distractions.
- Use a desktop or laptop when possible instead of the Zoom mobile app. Computer cameras are more stable and also provide a better view for the interviewer.
Tips for Success During the Call
Now that you have selected the best space for your call, fined-tuned your computer and are dressed for success, here are some important tips to keep in mind during the call. Remember, a Zoom interview is just as formal as an in-person one.
- Use your mute button when you are not talking to eliminate any distracting background noises.
- It has been proven that most people look at themselves during Zoom meetings, so you can hide your video from your display by right clicking on your video and selecting “Hide Myself.” This will enable you to focus on and make eye contact with the other people in the meeting.
- Be aware of your body language. Maintain good posture and use non-verbal cues like smiling and head-nodding when listening to the interviewer.
- Ask questions with confidence.
Vaughn College is dedicated to the success of its students. We hope you found these interviewing tips for a Zoom interview helpful. Remember: You only have one chance to make a good first impression. Now is your time to shine. Visit career services to learn more about how Vaughn College can help you on your path towards a futureproof career.