New Year’s Resolutions for Personal Growth and Well-Being
As 2020 comes to an end, the future can bring hope and a fresh outlook for a positive year ahead. Making resolutions is one way to keep on track while balancing busy lifestyles. Did you that know making small changes in your daily routine can lead to big results that can last a lifetime?
Listed here are some new year’s resolutions to help build your personal growth and nurture your well-being, especially during these difficult times. After all, having a positive mindset is the key to starting each day with motivation and determination. Vaughn has kept students and faculty connected and engaged throughout the pandemic by offering weekly virtual events such as yoga, dance sessions, warrior bootcamp, movie and game nights, sports discussions and more.
Let’s begin by taking a deep breath. Now, open your mind as we walk you through some simple ways you can calm yourself, stay focused and have the best year yet.
Schedule “me time”
As distance learning continues, you already know how important it is to keep a schedule. Taking your education seriously is important, but perhaps even more important is taking some time for yourself. Scheduling “me time” is the best way to recharge and reboot your mind before hitting the books again. And remember: It’s not wasting time. It’s your special time to unwind. Here are some ideas to add to your own list of favorite ways to spend your “me time”:
- Schedule a workout. Exercising boosts both your physical and mental energy levels. Take a quick walk or run outside, do a yoga or pilates video, or create your own workout routine.
- Catch up on your favorite TV shows. Everyone needs that “brainless” hour away from their studies. This is just the kind of break you need when your brain needs a rest.
- Listen to your favorite music. Music soothes the mind and calms the soul.
- Take a power nap. A quick 20-minute snooze is enough to recharge your body and mind for the rest of the day.
Nurture your well-being
We all need some pampering once in a while. But did you ever think of ways to pamper your mind? Feeling calm and healthy begins with nurturing yourself from the inside-out. Here are some easy ways to stay in sync with your mind-body balance:
- Read an excerpt every day from your favorite motivational book
- Take a break from social media
- Turn off the notifications on your phone
- Carve out some quiet time for meditation or spiritual enrichment
- Work on a puzzle
- Start a new hobby, like yoga, knitting or cooking
- Keep paper handy for drawing, coloring or doodling
- Write in a daily journal to get your thoughts down on paper
Develop healthy eating habits
What you put “in” your body can make all the difference in how your body and mind perform throughout the day. Meal-prepping is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. Having healthy snacks and meals that are prepared ahead of time makes eating healthy a piece of cake. (Yes, you can have your cake and eat it, too—in moderation.) Try preparing large meals on Sundays and Wednesdays. This is a great way to keep healthy grab-and-go snacks available and your meals prepared on busy nights.
Stay connected via Zoom or other platforms
Keeping in touch with family and friends is an important part of personal growth. As the nation continues to practice social distancing, using platforms such as Zoom allows visiting “face-to-face” when meeting in person is not possible. Plan on setting aside a day and time when all members can join the call. Keeping connected with those close to you is one resolution that you’ll want to keep for years to come.
Have you made any new year’s resolutions for 2021? Hopefully these tips have been helpful in planning your year ahead. Vaughn College is excited to welcome back its students to the 2021 spring semester. Don’t forget to check out all the virtual health, fitness and counseling events Vaughn has to offer.