Best Ways to Stay Connected On-Campus as a CommuterMarch 9, 2017 Student Life
College life is an exciting time to broaden your horizons and explore new possibilities. If you’re a student commuter, living off campus doesn’t mean you can’t be a part of the excitement. In fact, most students who commute would agree that joining clubs and campus activities is a great way to stay connected with your college while maintaining your independence and having a well-rounded experience.
Get Involved and Stay Connected as a Commuter
College students have earned their rite of passage to live an independent lifestyle, even if they are living at home. With college costs continuing to soar, know that you’re not alone as more students are opting to commute.
If you’re a commuter student, you understand the challenge of maintaining the balance of studying and your home life. Here are some tips on how to maintain your independence while living at home:
- Utilize the library and college resources —Ideal for quiet time and bonding with students and faculty.
- Embrace a hobby by joining a club—You may have found that since some of your friends have gone away to college, your social life isn’t what it used to be. Joining a club is a great way to embrace an old hobby or establish a new one (such as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV), robotics, academics, music, art, theater – just to name a few). It’s a fun way to get out of the house and carve out some much needed “me” time to refuel and keep yourself focused.
- Join a sports teams—Joining clubs isn’t the only way to stay connected on campus. Tap into your athletic side by joining a sports team or lend support to teams by attending games and cheering them on.
- Respect for privacy—Although respect is a two-way street when living at home, making your needs known for quiet study time is crucial for your success as well as for living in a harmonious household.
- Save your money—Living at home is saving you a considerable amount of money when compared to the costs of on-campus housing, so take advantage of the time and begin saving for your future while you’re in school.
What can you do at Vaughn College?
Vaughn offers a wide range of clubs and on-campus activities to make your college experience even better. With many on-campus clubs, some students find it hard to choose just one. And if you love participating in sports, then Vaughn’s athletics department is where you want to be. With programs for both men and women, you can find your niche and be a part of the action, even if you’re a commuter. For the spectator, attending games and cheering on your team is a fun way to stay connected on-campus as you support your team and classmates.
Our diverse student body is matched by our selection of clubs that are tailored for students’ specific interests. Vaughn encourages its students to join as many clubs as their time allows. And if your passion fuels you to start your own club, our door is always open to hear your thoughts and ideas.
We invite you to learn more about our on-campus clubs and activities. Most meet weekly during our “common hour” between 11 a.m. and noon on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Check them out. We look forward to seeing you there!