Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)
What is HEOP?
The Vaughn College Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) is an academic and financial support program that helps students enroll in and succeed through graduation. The program is a partnership between the New York State Department of Education (NYSED) and Vaughn College. The target group is students who have the potential and desire to obtain a college degree, but because of academic and economic circumstances, would otherwise be unable to attend college. Supportive services may include, but are not limited to: workshops, supplemental financial assistance, counseling and tutoring in several subject areas. For information on how to join, contact Melissa Teixeira at or Lauren Cajade at .
More information about the program is located on the NYSED website: http://www.nysed.gov/postsecondary-services/higher-education-opportunity-program-heop
To learn more about Vaughn's Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program, please contact the assistant director of HEOP at .
Admission into the HEOP program is through a selection process. Interested applicants should:
- Complete the Vaughn College Application for Admission here.
- Mark HEOP on the admissions application or email to express interest after the application process;
- Complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and list Vaughn College 002665;
- Complete the ACCUPLACER Next Generation placement exam. HEOP uses this exam to determine academic readiness for college level mathematics and English;
- Entering fall 2021: Submit the prior-prior year’s tax return. For example, students entering fall 2021 must submit 2019 taxes;
- All potential HEOP students must be reviewed by the assistant director of HEOP to determine if the benefits and requirements of the program are right for them.
- In order to be eligible for HEOP, an individual must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be a New York State resident for at least one year prior to enrolling in a post-secondary institution;
- Be a first-time freshman student;
- Be a graduate of an approved high school or have obtained a high school equivalency diploma or its equivalent;
- Meet the economic eligibility guidelines established by NYSED;
- Meet the academic eligibility guidelines established by Vaughn College HEOP program.
|# of Household Dependents|| |
For family units with more than eight members, add the following amount for each additional family member: $8,399.
Please note: household income is based off of 2020 tax returns.
The pre-freshmen summer program is mandatory of all incoming freshmen students. It takes place during the summer before their first semester at Vaughn College. The program serves to academically and socially orient incoming students. For this pre-freshmen summer program, students are provided all textbooks, and tuition is fully covered.
The HEOP program has limited opportunities for accepting transfer students from another New York State based education opportunity program, specifically EOP, SEEK, College Discovery, or another institution’s HEOP. Transfers are at the discretion of the College based on current enrollment and other factors. Inquiries should be directed to the HEOP Assistant Director, Ms. Lauren Cajade, at or by phone, (718) 429-6600, ext. 160.
Interested in applying? Register for our information sessions below:
|1/17||2 p.m.||Register here.|
|1/25||5 p.m.||Register here.|
|2/2||3 p.m.||Register here.|
|2/10||11 a.m.||Register here.|
|2/14||12 p.m.||Register here.|
|2/22||2 p.m.||Register here.|
|3/2||6 p.m.||Register here.|
|3/10||4:30 p.m.||Register here.|
|3/21||5:30 p.m.||Register here.|
|3/29||6 p.m.||Register here.|
|4/6||4 p.m.||Register here.|
|4/14||10 a.m.||Register here.|
|4/25||3:30 p.m.||Register here.|
|5/3||4 p.m.||Register here.|
|5/11||5 p.m.||Register here.|
|5/19||6 p.m.||Register here.|
|5/23||5 p.m.||Register here.|
|5/31||4 p.m.||Register here.|
|6/8||3:30 p.m.||Register here.|
|6/16||5 p.m.||Register here.|