WE ARE EXCITED TO WELCOME YOU TO THE VAUGHN FAMILY
VAUGHN COLLEGE FALL 2021 ORIENTATION
Congratulations on your decision to attend Vaughn College!
We are excited to welcome you to the Vaughn community of learners. New student orientation is dedicated to supporting new students in their educational journey at Vaughn College and is designed to help you transition successfully to the Vaughn College community, get acquainted to campus resources and academics early in your college career.
Orientation is the beginning of many milestones that you will have at Vaughn as you build your unique collegiate network of friends and future colleagues.
All new students are expected to complete orientation; new student orientation is pivotal to each student’s success from the beginning of their educational journey to degree completion.
New Student Orientation – Online
New student orientation will be delivered online via Vaughn College’s learning management platform D2L. During your online orientation you will have an opportunity to learn about tools and resources available to you as a Vaughn College student, tips and strategies to best navigate the campus, and connect with other new students and student leaders.
Live Orientation Sessions (via Zoom)
August 23, 2021 at 3 p.m. – Meet the Faculty: Academic and Aviation Training Institute Programs
Students meet your faculty and department chairs who will help familiarize you to the course work and academic expectations.
August 24, 2021 at 6 p.m. – Parent and Family Program
Parents and family members are invited to join us on August 24 to hear from the department chairs and various student services to learn how to support your Vaughn College student through their educational journey.
Register here for both events.
New Student Visit Days – (In-person)
We’re excited to announce that while safety conditions permit, we are providing new students the opportunity to visit campus (in small groups practicing social distancing, as needed). Students who register for a New Student Visit Day will have a chance to explore campus with their peers and their Orientation Leaders, experience campus living, and visit key campus buildings. The primary focus of our New Student Visit Days is to highlight and introduce the student and campus life experience.
Register for ONE of the following sessions here.
- August 6, Aviation Programs
- August 13, Engineering and Management Programs
- August 20, Aviation Training Institute, Air Frame and Powerplant Technology
- Orientation participants must show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination OR proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of your arrival to campus. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine.
- All orientation participants on campus are required to wear a face mask while on campus. If you forget your mask, we will provide one for you.
- All orientation participants must complete a travel and health assessment screening on the morning of your visit prior to coming to campus.
Do you have a new student checklist?
Yes, click here for a step-by-step guide.
How Do You Access Orientation?
New students will be enrolled in the New Student Orientation seminar (NSO001). Once enrolled, you will access the online course. Orientation is supported through Vaughn College’s learning management system, D2L. D2L is the platform many of our faculty use and where the majority of your coursework will be located. This is a great opportunity for you to get comfortable using D2L. You will receive access details and instructions via Vaughn email. Only enrolled students will have access to orientation.
New Student Orientation is split into two experiences:
- Synchronous event– everyone logs in at the same time to receive live/real-time information, approximately 90 minutes event.
- Asynchronous experience– complete different modules at your own speed – that can take up to 4 hours to complete.
Please make sure you leave plenty of time to complete each portion of the program.
What Will You Need?
Please review the following items to make sure you are prepared for your orientation experience:
- Use a device (computer, laptop, or tablet) that has audio functionality.
- Online orientation is best viewed by using Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
- Access to internet.
- While not required, we recommend the use of camera and headphones (synchronous session).
Vaughn complies with the American with Disabilities Act and is committed to ensuring that all students are able to fully participate in new student orientation. If there are questions or concerns about how we will deliver orientation content or if you will require accommodations for placement assessments or your advising session, please contact Frank Wang at .
2021 Residence Hall Move-In Information
NOTE: Move-in dates are tentative pending the guidance from New York State and New York City on re-opening.
- August 30: Move-in for resident students arriving from a great distance (3+ hours away, out of state, or international)
- August 31 – September 1: New resident students move-in
New York State law requires that all college students provide proof of immunization for measles, mumps, rubella; and acknowledge understanding of meningitis. To remain enrolled, students must submit documentation within 30 days.
Upload proof of MMR vaccination records here.
Upload proof of Meningitis vaccination record or Meningitis waiver here.